Friday, October 30, 2009

Making Peace With Technology

So, I guess I have long been something of a naturalist. I grew up with the mountains, the desert. I have something of an obsession with leaves, especially in the fall. They inspire me, billowing giants of gold shimmying every which way. Some are stars, red stars, or dinosaur feet, brilliant flames, or leathery skin. I love them all. I love the ones that curl like smoke.

So, when computers started to creep more and more into our daily lives and make themselves very important, as a teenager there was something in me that inherently loathed the sense of dependence on a machine. I resisted. But it seems that resistance is futile. I have long since made peace with technology, I recognize the amazing good that it can be used for. In fact, I love it. I especially love the opportunities for creativity and also easier communication with family and loved ones. However realistic the "virtual experience" may be there is no substitute for live and in person. And can you honestly tell me this computer has a soul like the trees? Not a chance.

No comments:

Post a Comment